Setting SATA driver for Compaq Presario V3000

My friend bought a brand new HP Compaq Presario V3000 laptop(came with FreeDOS) last weekend during PC Fair (III) Kuala Lumpur trip.

FreeDOS? How to use? My friend ask me a stupid question, he didn't know it came without Microsoft Windows OS. So I was suggest Ubuntu to him and he told me don't be crazy. Too bad! Another fellow not willing to try Linux :(

He hand over the laptop to me yesterday and I used to installed Ubuntu 7.10 and it work perfectly. Hey! Please do not said Linux don't have drivers anymore. Let's me tell you why?

After the fun, I have to continue with my task - install Windows XP. WTH? The Windows XP installation failed because lack of SATA /RAID drivers that couldn't found any hard disk. What to do? Google and found in the lowyat forum - "Installing XP with MassStorage(SATA/RAID) Drivers, Can't find HDD in XP Setup ?"

I did a reply and added to the post that without HP Compaq Presario V3000.

Please follow the step by step as below:

1. download Intel Mass Storage(Intel 3600) from HP Compaq Presario driver page.

2. extract the 'SP32492.exe' in any other machine(it will go to c:\spsetup\SP32492 by default).

3. copy c:\spsetup\SP32492\*.* into your USB thumb drive.

4. attach your USB floppy drive into HP Compaq Presario V3000 laptop.

5. boot up from Windows XP installation disk.

6. look at bottom of the installation screen and hit F6 when it said F6 blah blah….

7. insert a floppy disk into external USB floppy drive, press "S" for supplier hardware device support disk. Select Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller(iaStor.sys).

8. basically the Intel Mass Storage SATA/RAID drivers loaded.

9. Windows XP installation continue for now.

So? I think probably it will work for Windows Vista by default and Windows XP drivers slightly outdated.

 

0 comments: