- Obtain a clean boot disk/CD and a clean antivirus software disk. If you don't have either of these two items get a copy from a friend, local store, or the Internet.
- Back up essential files to a disk. Don't forget to back up Internet Explorer favorites, Word templates, and files with programs like Outlook.
- Shut down the computer and turn off the power for 30 seconds or longer.
- Insert the clean boot disk or CD and turn on the computer, booting from the clean disk inserted. Change the startup sequence if required to make the computer boot from the inserted disk or CD.
- Run antivirus software from a clean antivirus disk or CD. Knowing simple DOS commands like "A:", "DIR", and how to type in the name of a program to run it may be necessary.
- Disinfect all files and write down or save a copy of the scan report when done.
- If cleaned documents don't work as designed, save the backup copy of the infected file to the hard drive and try a different program or method to remove the virus.
- Install antivirus software on the hard drive and reboot the computer.
- Run antivirus from the hard drive to scan the drives again as well as scan all other media, especially floppy disks.
- Download and run a second package for a second opinion, repeating steps above if necessary.
- Lock disks, by moving a plastic tab to see a hole through the disk, to protect against infections.
- To back up files within Outlook use the Export feature and save the exported file to a disk.
- To change the disk startup sequence press a key, as indicated on the screen, when the computer first starts up. Most use keys like F2 and Delete are common examples.